Here are the main reasons to let your dog sniff on walks!
1. It’s the dog version of scrolling through social media to see what’s up, who has been where, and what’s going on in the area.
2. It’s a far better choice as opposed to barking, lunging, pulling, and jumping and thus it’s worth encouraging
3. It’s natural! All animals do this naturally, as a way to get to know their environment best, through their nose, no different than we take in our environment through our eyes.
4. It provides easy mental enrichment while on walks which leads to a more mellow and calm dog.
5. It lets you know your dog is feeling relaxed enough to put their nose down and sniff instead of being on the lookout with their eyes.